You might be wondering why I would write an article on honey. Well, in my vigilant pursuit for all things good, natural and holistic, I found I simply had to. I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t share this with you! And I need to thank my dear friend Helga for her advice, information and support in writing this article. She brought much of this to my attention years ago when I found out that her and her husband were beekeepers. She is now my local supplier of honey each year. My latest score was two big containers last week.
Did you know that before we found antibiotics in the 1940’s we used honey on wounds to prevent infection and promote faster healing? Its viscosity provides a barrier that creates a moist environment so the wound can heal without scarring or tissue damage. It has antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that work by slowly releasing hydrogen peroxide – which disinfects the wound and kills germs. How amazing is that!!
Honey does not make the blood sugar spike like refined sugar does because it is released into the body at a steady rate. It helps the body absorb calcium and is great for those who have concerns about osteoporosis. It contains antioxidants that help protect the body against free radicals.
A few fabulous ways to use honey every day:
- For shiny hair; a teaspoon in a few cups or warm water and pour over clean wet hair, let dry naturally.
- Use in a bath to relax or for insomnia, for softer smoother skin; take ¼ cup of honey and add a few drops of lavender and mix together – add to the water.
- For pimples; dab them with honey to kill bacteria & speed healing.
- For digestion; the enzymes in honey aid digestion. Eat a teaspoonful next time you get heartburn or if you have ulcers!
- Soothe a sore throat with a spoonful of honey for instant relief.
- Facial mask; combine one mashed avocado, 1 tbsp honey and spread over face and neck for 10 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- For hay fever; since honey contains pollen, it may have a desensitizing effect over time. It needs to be harvested locally for you to be desensitized to local allergens.
- To sleep better; stir a teaspoon into herbal tea – you’ll fall asleep faster.
- It is antibacterial; dab a little over a cut or scrape before covering with a bandage to promote faster healing.
- Whipped cream; substitute honey for sugar and it will stay firmer longer.
- Use when warm
- To keep it from sticking use a bit of oil in the measuring cup first
- Substitute 1 cup of honey for 1 cup of sugar, but reduce liquids by ½ cup.
- Reduce oven temp by 15C or 25F
- Add ½ tsp of baking soda for each cup of honey used.
Please Note: Honey has to be the unpasteurized version – not the pasteurized version from the store (otherwise you don’t get the natural benefits). Please support your local producers and get the good stuff. It is an ethical and environmentally friendly choice too. (Honey should not be fed to infants under the age of one.)
I wish you an abundant fall and winter filled with much love, passion and adventure. As always I am here to support you in this life journey and love your feedback. See you soon!
Look Younger & Live Longer – Pain-Free!
As humans we are all contaminated with toxins from environmental pollutions such as those found in our food, water, air, and even our clothing, furniture and other household items. These make the body prone to illnesses. Some harmful effects of toxins include fatigue, depression, decreased sex drive, and skin problems like rashes, blotches, wrinkles, and dullness. Find out exactly how toxic your body and environment are with our Heavy Metals Test Kit!
The 3 in 1 FIT System works by breaking down toxic chemicals and helping the body restore energy and vitality. This helps you maintain a healthy lifestyle while keeping you looking and feeling young – in spite of having been exposed to environmental toxins!
Our 3 in 1 FIT Premium Ionic Detox Foot Bath System, a non-invasive health solution with no known side effects, comes with a six year warranty. It is three times stronger than any product on the market today, and it provides three powerful therapies including Far Infrared Heat, Ionic Detoxification, and Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS).
Learn more about the 3 in 1 FIT Detox Foot Bath System now!