“Ah! There is nothing like staying at home, for real comfort.” ~ Jane Austen
Creating your own spa at home is easy and worth it. Just as the quote above states: staying at home is real comfort. Isn’t that so true? It is always nice to get away for awhile, travel and perhaps visit a spa for an overnight – but coming back home with your own bed, towels and pillow feels amazing. There is just something about crawling back into your own sheets that truly feels luxurious. This quote inspired me to share a few ideas on how to create your own spa at home. Making sure it is a soothing spa-like environment in your own bathroom. I love to get away to the spa, but time doesn’t always allow me to do this as often as I would like. I have a bathroom where I just love to sit and soak in the tub. A space like this adds to your repertoire of wellness practices for good self-care. Here are a few ideas to design your own spa at home in your bathroom: First strip it down to the bare essentials and paint your bathroom with a colour that relaxes and soothes your senses. Choose a colour that is known for its calming effect. Keep the same colour hue throughout the entire space including the walls, tile and flooring if you can. Then:
- add a towel warmer if you have the space
- have the lights on a dimmer switch
- put together a pile of neatly rolled thirsty thick white towels – spas always have inviting stacks of them
- your own heavy white robe with a hood for getting cozy before and after your home spa indulgence
- a fluffy plush bath mat for stepping out onto after your bath
- decorate with baskets of spa items such as: beeswax candles, loofahs, bubble bath and rich lotions to slather on afterward. I have a variety of Ayurvedic oils, some aromatherapy infused oils, naturally scented bath salts and Epsom salts.
- aromatherapy essential oils such as lavender, ylang ylang, chamomile, bergamot, sandalwood and patchouli are wonderful for deep relaxation and calming frayed nerves after a long day. Add a few drops to your bath water.
- a bowl of seashells, or a few seashells scattered throughout the space to create that ocean side feeling
- your favourite relaxation CD
- enjoy a tall cool glass of water with lemon, lime, mint and/or cucumber just like a spa would serve you
Now enjoy the fruits of your labour by taking a milk and honey bath just as Cleopatra was known to do as part of her beauty regimen. Brush your skin lightly and in small circular motions with a dry brush or a washcloth before getting in the bathtub. Use full fat milk for its lactic acid, which gently exfoliates and moisturizes your skin. Honey is also moisturizing and helps to soothe and soften skin. (You know how much I like honey for everything!)
The recipe: Add 1-2 cups of milk and 1/2 cup honey to running, warm water. Swirl your hand in the water to mix, and slowly step in. Sink in and allow your eyes to close while you imagine a shirtless Daniel Craig (007) bringing you whatever you need. If Daniel is busy (heehee) and you are sharing this spa time with your partner, create some romance by adding rose petals to the water, have some champagne chilling in an ice bucket nearby and indulge in some juicy fresh strawberries! Relax and rejuvenate – balance and refresh…in the comfort of your own home. You deserve to add this piece to your wellness.
Wishing you an abundant summer filled with much love and adventure. As always – I am here to support you in this life journey and always love your feedback. See you soon!