Easy and Nutritious Foods to Eat at Work and on the Run
With our schedules being as hectic as they are, healthy eating at work is often not a priority. However, finding healthy foods to eat at work and fueling yourself properly throughout your day can literally make it or break it as far as your energy levels go.
In order to perform at your very best and to avoid the 3 p.m. slump, it’s important to fill your day with low-sugar foods such as lean proteins, essential fats, fruits and vegetables.
Here are a few tips that will help make healthy eating second nature:
- Invest in a portable water bottle so you can stay hydrated, as well as a covered cup for grab-and-go smoothies on the way to work.
- Invest in a mini blender to make quick and delicious morning protein smoothies to drink on your commute to work. (I enjoy both Vega and Genuine Health Brands with my favourite being Transform+ natural vanilla flavour – it is a combination of protein and greens)
- Prepare healthy foods the night before so they are ready and waiting for you in the morning. For example, pre-chop some vegetables or make a sandwich for lunch.
- Pack healthy leftovers from tonight’s dinner for tomorrow’s lunch.
- Scope out healthy restaurants or food kiosks in your work area that offer healthy, grab-and-go salad options for lunch.
Healthy foods to eat at work
Delicious breakfast options:
- A Miracle Applesauce Muffin in a Cup (see page 2 for recipe)
- A bowl of yogurt, cereal and nuts
- Whole grain toast with natural nut butter and sliced bananas
- A chocolate banana protein smoothie (premade at home or available at Starbucks)
Tasty ideas for lunch on the run:
- A six-inch turkey, chicken or tuna sub with any vegetable garnish
- A homemade turkey, chicken, egg or tuna sandwich on whole grain bread
- Planned leftovers from the night before (chicken stir-fry, for example)
- A spinach salad or mixed greens with a scoop of tuna, egg or chicken salad
- A bowl of chicken or turkey chili
- A veggie burger with side salad
- Pizza wraps (whole grain wraps, low-fat mozzarella and tomato sauce)
Healthy (and yummy) snack options:
- Carrot sticks and 2 tbsp hummus
- Healthy snack bars, such as Kashi bars (there is an organic nut bar at Costco that is fabulous, you then have a whole box of assorted that will last you awhile)
- 1/2 cup yogurt with berries
- Cheese and grapes
- 10 almonds, walnuts, pecans or cashews
- 1/2 cup applesauce with 1 tsp. ground flaxseeds
In addition to choosing healthy food options, it’s also important to stay well hydrated. Drinking 2 litres of water per day is critical to maintaining overall energy, achieving weight loss and obtaining an overall sense of wellness. Did you read my ezine last week about water? There is an entire article devoted to the topic of water there for you.
Also, after your morning cup of coffee, try switching to herbal teas or green tea for their hydrating and antioxidant effects.
I suggest going for a walk over the lunch hour to boost your energy for the afternoon. Leave a pair of socks and runners under your desk at work, so you are always ready for that invigorating noontime walk. My sister swears by it – instead of fading at 3:00pm, she finds when 5:00pm arrives, she is surprised to see everyone leaving for the day because she still has energy to spare.
I hope this helps you – and thank you to Canadian Living for providing me with some great ideas to share with you this week!
As always I am here to support you in this life journey of ours and love your feedback.
Get the benefit of a 1 hour workout in just 10 minutes!
The DKN Vibration Trainer helps accelerate weight loss and achieve a more toned body. The appearance of cellulite is controlled, which leaves you with smoother and tighter skin. Other benefits include improved balance, strength, flexibility and endurance, increased energy levels, better mental focus, and improved sleeping habits.
DKN Vibration Trainers are widely used in homes, physical therapy, rehabilitation, gyms and professional sports. Without having a 30-minute workout and a 30-minute massage, you can achieve the same results in less than 15 minutes while standing still and watching TV!
Similar to a massage or workout, a whole body vibration exercise machine helps improve blood circulation and enhances lymphatic function. When the lymphatic system gets blocked, it fails to eliminate toxins that can cause depression, fatigue, and chronic health problems like joint and muscular pain.
Proper lymphatic drainage prevents the accumulation of harmful toxins in the body’s systems and increases the production of good hormones, including endorphins, serotonin, and collagen, and helps improve flexibility and range of motion. This reduces stress and physical pain while achieving a slimmer and tighter body.
Learn more about the DKN Vibration Trainers now!